Though you may think that vehicular theft is the stuff of video games, getting a car stolen is actually very common. In fact, in the United States, a motor vehicle is stolen every 41 seconds.
Though not every crime is preventable, there are steps you can take to protect your ride. Here are just a few ways to keep your car in the driveway and your keys in your hands:
- Keep it locked. It may seem obvious, but having the doors of your car locked whenever they are closed is the first step to a safer vehicle.
- Park wisely. Choose to park your car in well-lit, busy areas where passerby will notice someone breaking into a vehicle. If you’re parking at a business, keep close to the front doors as security cameras will likely monitor any suspicious activity.
- Hide valuables. Thieves will be less tempted to break into your car if they don’t see any purses, cash, or electronic devices worth stealing along with your car.
- Consider anti-theft devices, which can deter criminals. Some systems, for example, prevent thieves from hot wiring your car.
- Hide your vehicle title. Some thieves get away from the law during traffic stops because they can show a police officer the title, which you conveniently left in the glove box.
- Track your keys. Next time you head to a locksmith for your BMW key fob replacement, ask about trackers that can alert you to your key’s location at any time using a smartphone app.
- Never leave your car running . Walking away from a vehicle and the keys make your ride the easiest target.
- Keep keys in smart places. Keep them in your pocket or in a safe, non-obvious place when not in use, like a drawer. A home burglary occurs ever 13 seconds in the US–if someone breaks into your house and sees keys on the counter, they might use your vehicle as a getaway car.
- Invest in security keys. Some types of keys, like transponder keys or smart keys, offer additional safety features. Ask your auto locksmith about key security options.
Auto Key Programming and Replacement
If you’re looking for new key fob options that offer greater security, contact Metro Lock today. From BMW key fob replacement to mobile auto locksmith services, Metro Lock can help keep your vehicles safe from thievery, vandalism, and other property crimes. \